Saturday, March 15, 2008

B-Hop - week 2

Well, for every excitement I had last week with my good jump start, I gained back 1/2 of what I loss this week. I really can't explain it, though I am going to make a conscious effort to journal my food consumption this week, and make an effort to walk 5 of the 7 days - with today being the first day.

In spite of the fact that I gained, I did feel good about my week. I think I have developed an allergy to the Slim-fast - for real! - so I am going to lay off it in the morning, and just eat better breakfasts. I did go for mini - 15 minute - walks 2 days this week, to get out of the office, and two long walks through the neighborhood ( 30 minutes each)with MF. My popcorn of last week was replaced with some tortilla chips and salsa a couple of nights, which must be part of what threw me off track. As I try to analyze where I can make improvements, I am reminded of a friend, who like me, has tried numerous weight loss programs, This friend was at his weekly weigh in sitting next to a woman who had not lost, but had gained weight that week. As the facilitator attempted to help her determine what she did to contribute to the weight loss, she said "I really didn't 'cheat' (I hate that terminology by the way)" As the helpful facilitator pressed her to think harder, she finally exclaimed "I did eat a dill pickle!" Okay, so that must have been the problem. NOT! At a weight watcher meeting I attended in the past, a woman was stressing out on how to count an apple, and was wondering if she was eating a larger apple than she should, to which the leader replied "Honey, we didn't get her from eating too large of apples!" Okay, no more excuses for me, just back to work.

I did go to the after hour health care place near us last night to get some attention to the rash that started on the top of my hands and is spreading up my arm. It's incredibly itchy and very unsightly. I am taking Benadryl and a steroid, which will likely throw off my blood sugars. I did adjust my overnight insulin units down .2 of a unit, and will likely be adjusting my overall units once I am through the steroid treatment. I heard a very scary story from a Dad at an Optimist club I spoke to this week, telling about his daughter who is diabetic and on a pump, her pump quick working in the night and she awoke to such a high glucose reading that she required hospitalization. I am quite grateful, that my blood sugars maintain at a steady rate, though at any time things could change as I age and depending on how I take care of myself. So, fellow "b-hopper's" hold me accountable!

I appreciate the advice of LMH to have a good physical, and being diabetic, I have my numbers checked on a quarterly basis, but I haven't been to the dermatologist to check for "top hats" on my moles. I am considering the internal cleanse, but no commitment as of yet to take the plunge - so to speak.

I stopped at whole foods to get our salad mix for the week, I did consume more salads the week before, which could also affected my weight gain, so I am looking forward to getting back to my hearty salad meals. I picked up some very nice fruit and vegetables and a few GF items for M. I plan to start trying the bread baking, I ordered the Gluten Free Mama baking recipe book and some special flour. Check out her website http://www.glutenfreemama.com/, I'll report back on the bread and other items I try in the coming weeks. I think M is missing bread the most on this diet plan. M, however, lost another 6 lbs for a total of 10 - I am happy and proud, really, not the least bit jealous, not at all . . . REALLY! I also ran to the grocery to pick up milk, bread for kids (I am trying my best to eliminate as much wheat as possible), cereal and frozen foods. We've tried many of the Amy's gluten freee vegetarian products, and although Whole foods has the largest supply, I have found the best deals to be at Target for these frozen and canned items. M loved the canned chili. Check them out, I particularly like the veggie lasagna and the Indian meals. http://www.amyskitchen.com/

I adapted my turkey soup recipe on the side this week. I purchased italian style ground turkey by mistake, and added some minced garlic as I cooked the meat. It had a nice kick and much more flavor, so I'd recommend you try this as well.

Tonight we are having dinner with friends and meeting my sisters for a concert with Neal and Leandra, a regional singer/songwriter couple whose music is awesome and back in my radio days, I used to give their cd's plenty of air time. They have become good acquaintances, and always try to fit "Rock in the River" a song dedicated to strong women, whenever I show up in the crowd (it's my favorite, it reminds me of mom, who was a rock and taught me to be pretty sturdy myself). Check out their website at http://www.nealandleandra.com/.

My challenge, to lose 45 lbs by my birthday in October including a financial challenge as well. I am putting $5 for every pound lost, and $10 every time I gain. My "savings is up to $30, though I'd rather have earned the last $10 by a weight loss this week.

Next week's goals, outside of the exercise 5 days and journaling my intake, eat more green salads for lunch and snack on fruit/vegetables in place of the other salty options I generally steer toward. I also plan to start taking a multivitamin daily again.

Happy to hear of everyone's good week. Hang in there and look for more contributors to sign in soon!

2 comments:

LMH said...

L,

I can't believe how much you have done in such a short amount of time! You are taking a major crash course in all of this!

Keep up the great work and I can't wait to try some of your recipes!! I will confess--I am worried you won't be making anymore of your awesome dips!! We'll have to find a yummy low fat,low carb,gluten free dip!! Is it possible??

LMH

B-HOP said...

I'll see what I can do to make the corn dip gluten free!